Earlier this year, Arena Birmingham was host to one of the biggest eSports Tournaments in the world with the first ESL One Dota 2 Major in the UK. This event did really well, had a $1,000,000 prize pool & saw teams from around the world competing. The event will be returning to Birmingham in 2019!
- ESL One Birmingham, the UK’s first Major broke crowd capacity and streaming records across multiple platforms
- More than 30 million people viewed the action online across the five days of competition this year, and fans attended from more than 38 different countries and 120 different areas of the UK
- ESL One Birmingham was also broadcast on BBC Three for the first time, with thousands of streams and hours of content watched across the weekend
Looking ahead to what ESL One Birmingham 2019 has to offer:
- Twelve of the world’s best Dota 2 teams will return to the UK in 2019 for an all improved ESL One Birmingham powered by Intel
- The event will take place from May 31 - June 2, 2019 at Arena Birmingham, for three days of intense Dota 2 action in front of one of the best crowds in esports history, battling it out for a share of the $300,000 prize pool
We think this type of event is a huge boost to the West Midlands region and for the wider UK eSports community, and can be seen as sign of the positive progression eSports are making in the UK. The event will return to it's previous venue, Arena Birmingham.